Friday, November 11, 2022

Quilting and planning

The folks at the nursing home loved the picture of the top!  After I heard from them, I got busy and pieced a back for what I'm now calling Green Mountain Sunrise earlier in the week.  When the batting arrived Tuesday, I sandwiched it and started quilting.  Using my trusty Elna, I'm simply doing lines 1/2" from every seam (in theory - there are wobbles), and it's halfway done.

I'm using Guterman cotton variegated thread on the top and gray on the back which is a pieced floral and navy blue.  So far so good.  I'll take it to show and tell tomorrow at our monthly guild sew-in.  


When I look at the quilt at a distance, I see how apt the name is.  I like those pops of light here and there.

Besides this work in progress to show, tomorrow I'll try to finish appliqueing the pink and blue melons onto the string-pieced neutral background.  After I finish the applique, I will think about next steps - do I enlarge it with a string-pieced border or leave it as it is?  I'll show a picture when I get to that stage.

The other thing I hope to take to work on at guild tomorrow is a tote bag full of selvages.  I thought it would be smart of sort them by color, so I've also got a bag full of baggies to put them in.  During 2023, I hope to work with them and my strings (which also need sorting by color).



1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your mention of strings makes me remember I have 2 shoe boxes full of them - I really need to do something with them - your quilt top is looking really good to me!