Sunday, January 8, 2023

Back to Jane


When I read that a new 25th anniversary edition of Dear Jane was being published a few months ago, I got very nostalgic for the days when I worked on those tiny blocks and triangles.  It was such a skill builder.  

I bought the book and was a little disappointed that it isn't a whole lot different from the original.  But I did locate some online resources that weren't available when I was making my variations on Jane, including a couple of paper piecing sites.  

I have Asian Jane, made quite a few years ago, hanging on the door of our bedroom.   I love the high contrast the black background offers these somewhat glitzy fabrics.  This quilt includes some blocks from Dear Hannah, Brenda Papdakis' followup book with more small blocks.  I also made variations in Christmas fabrics, 1930s reproductions, and red/white/blue.  

I resolved to embark on another Jane journey in 2023 and spent time in December gathering black and white prints for the background.  I also joined a couple of groups on Facebook for tips and inspiration.  Friday I made one FB group's assignment for the week, C-10, Patriot's Lantern.  I started out paper piecing it but found it could more easily and accurately be made by rotary cutting.  I want to use brighter colors for a modern look this go 'round, and deep teal seemed perfect for this block.

Next, I worked on a multi-colored A-1, Pinwheel Gone Awry, which is best paper pieced.  I can't remember how I made it last time, but I do remember it wasn't easy!  When I make these blocks, I marvel at the thought of Jane working in the evenings with the tiniest bits of fabric and candle or oil light rather than LEDs.   The paper piecing pattern I used is true to Jane's original, so the parts aren't perfect, just like hers.

As in the past, I am writing the date each block was finished in the book as a diary.  I still have my old copy that I took apart to use for patterns for the blocks which I assume I'll be making for months, maybe years, to come.  I'm looking forward to a slow, steady journey with Jane, destination unknown.