Sunday, July 1, 2012

Vermont Quilt Festival

We got home from a whirlwind trip to Colorado Friday at noon, after taking the red-eye.  All we did was sleep Friday, and the getting-back-to-normal continued yesterday.  Today I was refreshed enough to go to VQF, something I look forward to every year.  My friend Pauline went along, and she got quite interested as we went along.  A friend's husband warned her that quilting is addictive.  I was happy to run into that old friend, Sadie, and another, Laurraine, along with some Vermont quilters and vendors.

This year's quilts were pretty glitzy, with winners bejeweled and quilted with metallic thread.  Quite a few entries were of the Paula Nadelstern variety, with amazing bright colors and perfect paper piecing.  Photos of winners will be up on the VQF website soon.

There were quite a few lovely traditional quilts, mostly of the Baltimore Album variety.  In fact, one was Best in Show.  Here are a few others that I enjoyed.  First is a Dear Jane quilt made in neutrals - beige/brown.  Very chic.


This one's for Karen - a One Block Wonder with embellishment.  Looks similar to your Joseph's Coat.

This was based on a Terry Clothier Thompson pattern, and I love it.  Will have to look for the pattern.  I really like the print used for the background, unfortunately not so visible here.  You can tell, though, that it won an award.

Here's another One Block Wonder in very cool colors.  I was disappointed not to be able to see the actual fabric that was used (and sorry about the lady's tote bag in front!).

This log cabin with appliqued border was hand quilted and featured soft colors.  The photo doesn't do it justice.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing the quilts. They are wonderful. Sounds like you had a good time!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

oh those are great! I love the "one block wonder" you are right it reminds me of Joseph's Coat - I love the colors!
Karen

Snippets of Carol said...

Thanks for sharing. I have made, and taught, several of the One block wonder quilts. Would love to see how they did their embellishmnets. Might have to try another, or finish the one black and white one here that I just didnt like how it looked.