Sunday, December 1, 2013

Another tempting block of the month

Barbara Brackman is offering another Civil War block of the month, featuring 12" blocks this time and beginning January 25, 2014.  It features star blocks, and the theme Threads of Memory refers to the Underground Railroad.  A couple of years ago, she did a Civil War block of the week on her blog which I really enjoyed.  Accompanying each block was a story about someone or some event connected to the block.  I learned a lot while making the blocks.

In 2011-12, I made two Civil War quilts using Brackman's 8" blocks and a few more.  I gave one to my cousin in Holland who had just had a stroke. 
I like the way I set the blocks, particularly the big triangles using scraps in the on-point area.  I am sorely tempted to join in the BOM in 2014.  One block a month shouldn't be too onerous, and I still have plenty of scraps to incorporate.

Right now I'm reading The Spymistress by Jennifer Chiaverini.  It's about Elizabeth Van Lew, a spinster living in Richmond during the Civil War, who becomes a spy for the Union.  Also, I receive a Civl War Book of Days via email each week from the Vermont Humanities Council.   Both make the Civil War come alive and show the human side of a very terrible part of our history.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lovely quilt - I saw the block of the month on Barbara's site, thought about it and then thought no! I'm doing too many things right now like usual