Monday, January 4, 2016

"Paths" and another finish

This year, the Green Mountain Quilters Guild, the state guild, is having a "word" challenge.  At the fall meeting, anyone who wanted to participate drew a word from a bag, and we need to make a quilt that's 24" square with that word as its theme.  The word I drew was "paths," and I immediately thought of the traditional Drunkard's Path.  I then thought of one of my favorite quotations, If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you."  I have long thought that it came from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, but when I tried to verify that, I found that it was actually Beatle George Harrison who had paraphrased it in a song on a posthumous album.

I've been thinking a lot about what to do since that November meeting, and Saturday I started cutting Drunkard's Path pieces out of "sky" and "earth" scraps.  My aim was to make something using stash, and I succeeded except for the fabric paint I had to buy for the quotation which is another take off of those two Brits words of wisdom.  I added a little fusible applique, and am going to machine quilt it with some paths here and there.  I have until May 21 to quilt it, so it will probably go into the closet with all the rest of the to-be-quilteds til the mood strikes me.

It's a really cold but sunny day, perfect conditions for working on the last bit of applique for the local guild round robin.  We had two months to complete this border, or I would not have tackled a hand appliqued round.  Paula's bag seemed to include an entire stash of earth tones which are not my favorite.  Because the center with Pat M.'s round seemed a bit dark, I used a lighter piece for the background and the brightest fabrics I could find.  The top and bottom borders are an inch wider than the sides because Paula would like to end up with a twin-sized quilt.  I think it's going to be quite nice with four more rounds to go.



No comments: