Thursday, May 19, 2016


I've been trying to quilt a quilt a week but the weather hasn't cooperated for picture taking.  Here are the latest.  The first was last year's "Around the World" block swap with an online group.   Each person sent every other person a fat eighth of fabric, and the recipient made a block that represented her.  There were 12 people in that group, I think.  One block arrived after I had put the quilt together, so it's on the back as a signature block with all the names of the people who participated.

I made the snowball blocks between each, and I used the snipped triangles for the flying geese in the border.  The fabric was given to me by a friend who was downsizing before moving.  She knew about my Indonesian roots and insisted I needed to make this quilt.  Glad I did!

I enjoyed quilting the quilt, too.  As a sampler, it gave me an opportunity to try something different in each block which was fun.  I used the walking foot most of the time, which is a lot easier on my new machine with its larger harp.  I still make a few slight curves with the walking foot.  I did a little free motion quilting but need more practice to feel a bit more confident.

The Indonesian swap quilt will look great on our table, and I plan to use it when Mom, Jenny, Jermine, and Christine come in a few weeks.  I'll make a nice Indonesian meal for Mom's 94th birthday celebration.

The last quilt is a black/white/red tumbler quilt.  I cut all the pieces out in a few hours using my Go Baby die cutter.  Love that gizmo!   Someone had brought a similar quilt to the state guild meeting last fall, and I liked it so much that I just had to make one, too.  I started out using scraps, but of course I ran out before it was a size I liked, so I had to buy a little more.  I love the fabric on the back - needles and thread.

1 comment:

Wacky Woman said...

It really turned out nice Marianne. Good job!