Friday, May 6, 2016

UFOs finished

I had three quilts stacked up, waiting for the bindings to be sewn down to the back.  It's my least favorite job, but I finally caught up on the backlog.  Today is a lovely day for photography, so we did a little.

First, here's my state quilt guild challenge quilt.  At the October meeting, each person who wanted to participate drew a word from a bag.  We have until May 21 to create a 24" square quilt inspired by the word.  Mine was "paths," hence the Drunkard's Path and a favorite quote of mine:  "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you."  I always thought it was said by Lewis Carroll's Cheshire Cat to Alice, but apparently it wasn't said in quite that way.  George Harrison wrote a song based on it, and of course, I changed the word "road" to "path" for this quilt.

Next is last year's Heart of Vermont guild mystery quilt.  I put it together wrong, and didn't like the result.  But I didn't want to take it apart so simply made it into a table runner and a smaller quilt which will go to the Parkinsons Comfort Quilt Project.  I quilted it using the ill-fated Juki which I had to return due to problems with the walking foot.  I wasn't happy with the way the quilting ended up, but after washing it's not as noticeable.

Finally, here's the Zig Zag Quilt, made of Birds in the Air blocks.  I had a large piece of Jinny Beyer green fabric which was very difficult to match with any colors except black.  The quilt measures 60" x 60" and took me a while to quilt because I couldn't decide on what to do in the green zig zag sections.  I got a few stencils but didn't like the way they looked, and I didn't want to do straight parallel lines.  In the end I made some free motion leaves which are a big wiggly.  I hope it looks like the wiggly parts are deliberate!

No comments: