Saturday, January 6, 2018

Freezing!

It has been at or below zero for nearly two weeks, and I can't be the only one who's sick of it.  I have plenty to do in the house - sewing, reading, closet cleaning, etc.  - but I can't help feeling a strong case of cabin fever coming on.  The long range forecast seems better, thank goodness.  I have had to cancel or not go to several activities, so the cold has really disrupted my life!  I did venture forth Tuesday after New Year's Day because we needed quite a bit of food.  It was 25 below zero!  Then today, with negative digits and brisk winds causing a wind chill of 25 below, we went to a funeral.  Soup was definitely on the lunch menu, and casseroles have great appeal every night.

I just finished Jennifer Chiaverini's latest book about Ada Byron Lovelace, daughter of the British Romantic poet and acknowledged by some to be the first computer programmer.  Enchantress of Numbers paints a somewhat sad portrait of a Victorian girl whose parents separated early in her life and who was raised to focus on science and math over poetry.  Her nurses and governesses were told not to tell her fairy tales so that her imagination wouldn't become stimulated.  Now I'm on to something a little different - Amy Stewart's Girl Waits With Gun, a mystery set in 1914 in rural New Jersey.  So far it's intriguing and, I hope, diverting.
I finished quilting the string scrappy quilt and am on to quilting the Storm at Sea one.  That is going fairly well although I am mainly working in the ditch along the curves at this point.  I'll do some echo quilting when it's all  anchored.  I'm using a variegated medium-to-light blue thread although it doesn't make a lot of difference.  

I find quilting is great for thinking... mostly about future projects.  On my spring agenda are two quilts for Paul's great nephews who are graduating from high school.  The wrestler will get a t-shirt quilt, and the more science-oriented one says his favorite color is gray.  That should be interesting and offers some real "modern" quilting possibilities.



1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always think it would be nice to live in the north again until I hear people write about how cold it is!! Wow Marianne I feel for you for sure - to have to go grocery shopping at -25 is just too much isn't it and here I am thinking it is 41 and I am getting a little antsy being in the house even though I went to the fitness center this morning that it is windy and chilly outside and really do not feel like running to the store anything because it felt cold outside. 41 and windy is nothing compared to what you have!! I just read one blog from one that lives in NYC that has a loft that is freezing so they went to their second home on Long Island and found the water pipes frozen and the heat not working!! I have it good - I have firewood if I need it and even though it will still be in the 20's tonight my house is warm and I have water.