Monday, January 1, 2018

Starting the new year


We still miss our dog, Max, who enjoyed life to the fullest almost to the very end.  He was so uncomplicated but had distinct likes and dislikes.  When we walked past Tom Davis' house, he always stopped to look.  He knew there were treats to be had there if Tom saw him.  We miss Tom, too, taken from us this year, for his incredibly good sense of humor, fairness, and compassion for the needy of the world.  He was definitely one of the nice people to be nice to (#10 above).  I need to be more mindful of that in 2018.

It's been a tough year for some, so I hope that 2018 will be a better one all around.  Samantha and Chris need jobs, Jeanne and Madelyn need health, other family and friends need peace and love.  The world needs a lot less tension and a whole lot more understanding.  I feel lucky to have what I have, know who I know, and live where I live (despite the frigid temperatures right now).

Yesterday, I cooked some gourmet beets and a peach/blueberry tart to go along with the filets mignon we bought for dinner.  It was a great final meal for 2017.  Today we're having leftover lasagna for dinner, and we will start watching our intake as so many do after The Holidays.  (I will be starting a 12 week weight loss activity January 7 through 23andMe.)  I'll take down the tree and do a little more quilting on the string quilt I sandwiched yesterday.  


3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy New Year to you. Yes we need less tension in our life's this past year was full of political tension and it will continue for the next 3 years I'm sure. We need to get past it but it is hard.
We too need to watch our diet better, we are exercising well though. the Christmas tree well be taken down over the next couple days I don't rush it just like I don't rush putting it up I take my time putting it all away - a closet needs to be cleaned out really well before things get put away this year.
Hope you have a great year

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Marianne,
If those are Max's rules to live by, they surely make sense. I love #10, be nice to nice people. If everyone did that, everyone would be nice. Happy New Year to you and your family. Many blessings. ~smile~ Roseanne

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Wishing a blessed year for your and your family Marianne. You are right, 2017 was tough. I have hopes 2018 will be better in many ways.