Sunday, January 28, 2018

Quilting in 3-D

This week, I finished quilting the Storm at Sea throw, and it looks really good.  As I quilted the, the spirals got easier, and I love the final effect, especially with the blue variegated thread.  It's been so gloomy and/or frigid that photos are out of the question until we see a few glimmers of sunshine.  That's the way with winter in the north country - when the sun shines, it's below zero; when the temperatures climb, it snows.  Suffice it to say, I'll share when I can.
I took a little inventory of my UFOs and decided to try to do a few quicker projects before getting involved in something bigger.  I have everything I need to start a quilt for great nephew Ben's high school graduation, but I was in search of instant gratification for a change.  I got out a pattern for a wallet that I've been saving for ages and a batch of batiks.  The result was awful!

The square version of this pattern is much to bulky for my purse or a pocket.   I guess I really need a credit card holder, so I'll make one of those eventually.  I will probably either throw the square wallet away or cut it down, and I don't think I'll make the clutch despite the fact that I've got the requisite clear plastic the pattern calls for ages ago. 

I was a bit discouraged, so I refreshed my brain by making a nice, flat quilt block for my orange/yellow/black and white block of the month quilt.

Because I had to make a run to Joann Fabrics to buy some Velcro for the wallet, I looked ahead to another three dimensional project that's been on my mind - a caddy for the car.  We are heading south for a week or so at the end of March, so I thought this might be useful for car snacks, drinks, guidebooks, etc.   This requires a puzzling array of stablizers, notions, and handle tape, things I rarely use when concentrating on one dimensional quilts.   We'll see how it goes this week.  Quilting means always learning!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope your caddy for the car works out well for you, whenever I try to make any of these type of things I am never happy with my work, I just don't like the way they turn out. I remember when we lived in Idaho years and years ago in the middle of winter you would wake up to such a bright blue sky and think what a wonderful day and it was but it was -10 !! always such pretty skies on such cold days.