Saturday, February 3, 2018

In a quandary

I am in the process of binding the final edges of the **^%$! caddy for the car, and it is ten degrees below zero today although we expect the sun to peek out eventually.  So no photos of finished projects, once again.

As I go through "life" lately, I've been thinking of what to make for Bennett's high school graduation quilt.  It's hard to believe he is that old!  His mom, Jen, asked him what his favorite color is - gray, LOL!  So I have a bunch of grays and a little blue to mix in.  I'm thinking of a low volume quilt.  And will he really care how intricate the piecing is?   Should I simply cut out tumblers with my die cutter and put them together randomly?  Should I make a bunch of larger blocks, say 18"?   It will be couch-sized, maybe 70" x 70" at the most.

I went to Pinterest and found quite a few photos of tumbler quilts.  This one has a little more blue and white than I envision but it seems to fit my plan for a random arrangement.  What would happen if I cut out a bunch of tumblers, put them in a bag, and simply drew out one at a time and attached them?   Well, I'll have to do a little math and a little more thinking while I bind the caddy.

I am also waiting for a shipment of wrestling and other t-shirts from Michelle for Paul's other great nephew, Drew, who's graduating.  His favorite colors are green and brown which I'll use for some straight-forward sashing.  

And finally my brother's younger daughter, Evelyn, is also graduating.  She has already received a couple of quilts from me in her lifetime, so I am thinking of a draw-string backpack or pillow for her room at college.  Guess I have my work cut out for me in the next few months!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think the tumbler quilt would be neat. If you have the die for it (I do too) that would make it faster