Sunday, February 4, 2018

Changed my mind!

How often do you have a vision for a quilt and then decide to take a completely different path?  My quilts often are done on whim, and Bennett's high school graduation quilt is no exception.  I got out all my gray scraps and a few fat quarters I just bought, along with some light blues to tone down the monotony.  I was about to get out my die cutter to begin on the tumblers when I remembered the guild block of the month, Fence Rail Star, and decided to investigate it further.  I missed the last guild meeting, but I guess Lynn got the pattern from the Missouri Star Quilt Co.   I watched bits of the tutorial (linked above), and the possibility of hidden stars among the grays appealed to me, especially because each block finishes at 18".  Here are the first four:

I plan to do a little special quilting to make the stars stand out a little more.   But that's down the road a bit.  I have all the rails put together and am taking a break before making the star pieces.   For these, you just sew diagonally across 4" squares, cut, and flip.  I am making half square triangles out of the pieces I cut off so that makes it go a bit slower.  But maybe I'll incorporate those into the border.  We'll see where whim takes me.

No comments: