Saturday, April 7, 2018

Using up scraps

Earlier this week, I finished a 50" x 50" string quilt top, but I didn't have enough fabric for a back, so the dilemma was - should I buy some or piece a back?  I even went to Joann's but still couldn't decide.  I'm waiting for some fabric from Craftsy but have decided to use that for two other tops in the closet.  I have four quilts waiting for quilting and lots of odds and ends of fabric, yet nothing large enough for a back.

Not to decide is to decide.  I ended up diverting my attention by making a top out of some pretty pink and teal floral fabric I'd gotten from Meg.  It's a polyester blend, but I like it, and the pattern was marked "easy."  It's been so long since I made any apparel that I had forgotten that the sizes of patterns are larger than read-to-wear.  Because the finished top is way too big for me, I took a few tucks in around the neckline and may add to the side seams before going out in public.  It looks like a short muumuu now.  As my mom would say, "it will be cool for summer."  The urge to make clothing again has quickly faded!

After that intense morning, I went back to scrap quilting, tackling my box of 2" squares and a bin marked "muslin," which in actuality includes lots of creams and neutrals.  Cathie had posted a photo of a mystery quilt she'd made. 
I decided to try it with my scraps and am now half-way through another smallish top.   The blocks finish at 6" and it's coming along really well.  It is destined to be used...  as the back of the string quilt!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I sometimes think I want to make myself some tops or drawstring pants and when I try they never fit right and I feel I wasted my time and I do not wear them - my sister in law on the other hand is so good at it she can make a dress shirt button down for business wear and no one can tell she made it