Sunday, July 8, 2018

Works in Progress

I made a few blocks last week as part of my year-long "Low Volume at 70" project.  I'm making 6" blocks for each month.  Some are Moda's "Blockheads" blocks, and some are Pat Sloan's "Splendid Sampler" vols. 1 and 2 blocks.  Some will most likely be whatever I feel like making, and I'm using shirtings and other low volume backgrounds. 

It will be scrappy and I hope to quilt each month as I finish.  The big decision now is the color for the sashing - navy?   There's also a block to denote the month I made the other blocks.  It's from a set of machine embroidered dish towels I got from Yve long ago.  She thought they'd be fun in a quilt, and, now that she has passed on, I will remember her whenever I see them.

I've finished putting together 25 of the Ohio Star swap blocks I received in my local guild.  Only seven people participated, I think, and we were each to make 3 blocks.  But somehow I ended up with 26, due to someone's generosity.  I'm not sure why some people chose to make duplicates, but I have worked them in. 

I decided that the universal color for the cornerstones should be scrappy green, and I bought some more green to make a wide, pieced border.   You can see some of the border pieces stacked up near the top left.  I'm basing it on Deb Tucker's Oak Ridge Stars border, but because her blocks are 16" and mine are 12", I've had to make some adjustments.   The center now measures about 60" x 60", and the finished quilt should be about 80" x 80".   I just can't seem to make a rectangular quilt.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your star quilt - I always love stars!