Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Affairs of the Heart

Some years ago, I saw a luscious quilt called Affairs of the Heart by Ale Rossman.   It was incredibly tempting.   When I finally read the fine print, I realized that the blocks are all 8" and involve hand applique and my nemesis - embroidery.  I picked one and used wool for the applique.  I love the feel of wool and soft colors.
Then I screwed up my courage and started on the embroidery, using gold thread.  What a mess!  It was far too glitzy, so I took it out and used some gold cotton.  Ah!  much better.  But I knew I'd never make another, so the block just got shuffled around until it landed in the back of the closet.  When one of my guilds announced a UFO program, I dug it out, and yesterday I added a cotton border and did a little machine quilting.  Today I added some hand quilting (black on black - tough to see) and stitched the facing to the back.  Voila!

No comments: