Wednesday, October 17, 2018

UFO night at guild

Our local quilt guild met last night, and the topic was UnFinishedObjects.  As "homework," we were to locate all of the UFOs we had and then bring one that we would like to finish, one that we won't finish, and our oldest one.  Most of mine need hand work of some kind so are mostly small.  The oldest one is a white-on-white piece that I started hand quilting in the early 1990s.   The group at guild urged me to finish, so I will try to get back to it this winter.

The one I don't think I'll ever finish is the one I made in David Taylor's machine applique class.  I just don't need another little wallhanging, and I really didn't like using nylon thread.   Maybe I'll try making a fancy "frame" for it using some glitzy thread I bought at Ricky Tims' class.  Anita Shackleford, from whom I took a hand applique class, said that class projects rarely get finished, but that's OK.  She suggested we keep them as samples to refer back to.  I didn't finish the project from her class either, and I can't even find it.  :-)

My list of UFOs (which I keep on my phone) keeps growing even though I pride myself on finishing things.  Those with an * begin in the new year, and I hereby resolve to tackle at least a few of the long-term ones in the coming year:
  • Red, white and blue medallion - working on applique for another border
  • Splendid Samper - combining SS 1 and 2 with Moda Blockheads weekly
  • Quilt guild block swap - make 32 12" blocks by May*
  • Guild mystery quilt - finish cutting and do the October clue
  • Double churn dash swap with online group - due 9/30/2019*
  • Missouri Star block swap - blocks to return to me this fall
  • Bookcase row by row with online group - to return to me this fall
  • Hawaiian appliqued turtle (started in 2016?)
  • Wool appliqued vase with flowers (started in 2017)
  • Affairs of the heart block - embroidery and finish
  • Selvage quilt - make a few more blocks and finish (an ongoing project)
  • Recent applique class project (problem created by teaching!)
  • Guild panel challenge*
  • Bonnie Hunter 2018-19 mystery with online group*
There are also a couple of things I'd really like to start, but I'll leave that list for another time.  I should mention that two days ago I made 20 key fobs to give to the library staff for Christmas, and I'm feeling very smug about it.  The staff appreciation dinner will be sometime in November, and I'm already ready!  I bought the kits on etsy.com and cut scraps of fabric 2" x 10".  I ironed seam allowances and sewed them to the strips to the webbing using a jeans needle and my walking foot.  Then I hammered on the hardware.  Some of the hardware is a little crooked, but they looks great and only took a morning to make.  I enjoyed it so much, I might just order another set to work on before Christmas.




1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm glad I don't have your list LOL - I do have 4 or 5 that I am working on all the time and two that I never know if I will finish -- good luck on your list!!