Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Bread class

I've been baking bread for about 50 years, so why would I take a class?  Our library is offering a series of cooking classes on Tuesday nights this March, and I thought it might be interesting.   It was that - and fun, too.

Our instructor, Laura, who makes all the rolls for community dinners in Marshfield and who has six children (more or less?), started by showing us how to shape the dough.  Usually, the instructors talk about mixing the dough first and then never get around to how to handle it.  I liked Laura's techniques for various shapes of rolls.  She also said that she has found that baking round rolls in pie pans helps them bake more evenly.  Laura uses "Craisins" in her cinnamon rolls, which I need to try.  Because Laura uses more oil than I am used to, the dough is very soft and elastic, and the equal amount of yeast and sugar makes it rise fairly quickly.

I was pleased that this program attracted a completely different group, and I was by far the oldest person there.  We had fun together, passing around ingredients and measuring tools.  We each went home with enough dough for two loaves, 16 rolls, or whatever we wished to shape after the first rise.  This meant, of course, that during the course of the evening (I got home at 7 pm), I had to fuss with the dough and then cool the final products, but it was well worth it.   I made a loaf of bread and 12 cinnamon buns.  Next time I'll try to make 8 slightly larger buns.  

Here's Laura's recipe:

Crusty White Bread (Laura Mulligan)

Add to room-temperature bowl in this order:
     2 T. dry yeast
     2 T. sugar
     2 t. salt
     1/2 c. oil
     2 c. very warm water - usually the hottest tap water you have.
Stir with a whisk just until the yeast begins to dissolve.  Then wait 2-5 min. for the yeast to "proof."  It will form a design on the top when ready.  If it doesn't, throw it away and start over.

Add 2 c. of all purpose flour and whisk until smooth.
Add another 2 c. of flour with a spoon until well blended.
Sprinkle surface with a little flour, dump out dough, and knead until smooth and elastic.  Depending on humidity, you may need to work in a cup or two more flour.

Place in greased bowl and cover with a towel to rise until double (about 45 min. at room temperature)
Punch down dough, shape into 2 loaves or multiple rolls, put into greased pans, and allow to rise until double (about an hour)

Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 min. (loaves), 20-25 min. (rolls).

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds good but I always think bread has too much salt in it! what do you think? sometimes I will cut the salt in half and it seems like it turns out the same way. It sounds like this was a fun class to take