Monday, July 22, 2019

Still busy in the quilting room

First it was hot, then today it's rainy.  Both conditions are perfect for quilting.  There's AC if I need it, and lots of scraps to keep me busy.  Here are the two table runners I finished a few days ago:


Last year I participated in a swap of Missouri Star squares.  I made a few extra in case I needed them to make a bigger quilt.  One swap block went really well with the fall colored squares and another (from my local guild swap) went with the green ones.  The green table runner has Christmas fabric on the back so it can be used for the holidays (if the person likes not-quite-lime for the season).  Since finishing those, I made a bunch of modern Christmas trees that became table runners, but I'm waiting for fabric to come from etsy for the binding.  Then I'll take photos of those.  I plan to try to sell a few on my etsy shop and a few at the local flower/gift shop.

Meanwhile, I've been mining the depths of my string basket for a little bit of a longer term project.  The pattern, Honeycomb, is by Karen Griska who will be speaking at the state quilt guild in May.  I love her scrappy and her selvage quilts, so I look forward to meeting her.
My honeycombs look more like wheels, and I'm planning to make my quilt with just eight of them (they measure about 15").  My selection of strings just isn't big or varied enough to make the full sized quilt.   Not sure I'll make the same border, either.  I was thinking of a piano-keys or a rail fence border made with light strings instead.   I want to get the top done before the fall state guild meeting so that I can get everyone excited about Karen's coming.

So far, I have parts of six wheels ready to put together, but I'm waiting until I have them all so that I can shuffle the pieces around.  I've never used paper plates to separate parts of a quilt before, but I'm finding them very handy with this quilt.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love that string quilt - that might be what I need to make with mine!