Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Some days are like that

It's an exciting day in the neighborhood... for some.  People are sawing wood across the street somewhere, the masons are moving their equipment to work on another chimney, and the people across the street are getting a new driveway.  I guess after all the time we've spent at home over the last few months, jobs accumulated.  Now that workers can be outdoors, they are, with back up beepers going all over the place.  

It's going to be an unusually hot day today - 90 degrees and humid - so I have shut most of the windows to keep it relatively cool.  I also watered all the flowers this morning so they won't wilt.  The black flies are out in full force, too, making it wise to stay inside and read.  We haven't put my AC unit into the sewing room window yet; these sorts of heat waves usually moderate in a day or two.  So I won't be sewing much.  Besides, I need to move the blocks for The Avenue around until I like them and then trim them to a universal size before putting them together.  Some ended up as much as 1/2" off width- or length-wise.  There is sashing between the rows, but not the blocks, so they need to be precise.

My Selvage Sampler quilt has been accepted in a virtual  show at Studio Place Arts, beginning June 1!  We took a few better pictures so that they would have higher resolution than they do with my phone.  I think they are going to take my Outer Space Ohio Star wallhanging for the next virtual show beginning June 17, too.  These shows are to replace the in-person shows they usually have, and the focus of each is to highlight what artists have been doing in this Stay Home - Stay Safe time.  Will post links when I know what they are.  I'm curious to see what else is in the shows.

A few places are open these days, and I did go to my local quilt shop late last week for a few things.  They are all set up for social distancing, but it was still good to see a few other quilters.  I miss seeing people beyond our little neighborhood.  We did play croquet with neighbors Saturday, and everybody brought their own drinks and chairs for a little social time afterwards.   I guess this is our "normal" for now.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you have a neighborhood to see and do things!! that is one thing I miss of being in the country - no people!! I miss that at times like these - the aloneness if that is a word?
nice quilt