Monday, September 27, 2021

A couple of projects

This is going to be a busy week, with a meeting, a pedicure, and the library Fall Festival booksale.  So I probably won't be able to keep up with my almost daily big block making or other projects.  I'll be lucky if I make dinner a few of the days.  Here's the latest big block, a 16" Dresden Plate in burgundies, inspired by Karen's recent block.

I usually hand applique Dresdens onto their backgrounds, but I just didn't feel like it.  So I carefully machine stitched it, including the center using matching thread.   I also did a 12" raffle block in fall colors the same way for the upcoming state quilt guild meeting.  They turned out fine, but I will know they are machine done!

I love the fabric I used in the center.  It's black with burgundy/purple maple leaves, a gift from another Karen in Canada.  The background fabric has teal, green, and burgundy; there's plenty left for a few more projects.

For one of my local guilds, I've volunteered to make a block of the month for the program team I'm on.  The December meeting is the Tuesday before Christmas when people are rushing to finish things.  So I've settled on a wintery theme and have been trying various snowflake blocks.  So far this is the "winner," but I may try a few others.  The block finishes at 11" but I'm going to try to adapt it so that it ends up at 12".  

It goes together fairly easily, log cabin style, but those diagonals may be a problem for beginners.  I'm going to suggest appliqueing them, so I'll give that a try, too.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

big blocks can be fun and they go together so easy!