Thursday, July 6, 2023

Keeping cool

The AC is on in the sewing room, and our heat pump is taking away the hot, humid air on the first floor.  We are definitely comfortable inside.  Outside, not so much, but it is good to see the sun after days of gloom.  First there were the fires in Quebec clouding up the skies, and then there was the thread of and downpours of rain.  Today thunder storms are expected at around 4 pm, which makes sense due to the heat/humidity.

I finished the "mini" quilt for the Gypsy Moth shop contest.  I'll take it along when I go for my class on using the long arm there next week.  We received two fat eights and needed to use at least 25% of them in our projects.  One is the binding and the center of the Dresden flower along with some petals.  The other is the flower pot and the center of one of the smaller flowers.  I guess they "went" together but I had a heck of a time coming up with an idea for using them.

The required size was 12" x 15" and that posed a problem for me, too.  I did some hand applique, some hand quilting, and some embroidery on this piece.  Of course, now that it's done, I see that, as usual, the pot is crooked "On the Patio."  Why, that's the name of the piece.  

The label on the back has the quilt name, basic info about me, and my age.   WTH!   I rather resent having to add the age, but...  oh well.

I am slowly hand quilting fragile sections of my hankie quilt, but this morning I had a hankering for machine sewing.  I cut out and sewed some flying geese for this month's Rows Parade quilt along with Aby.  We need to make 48 during July and August, and I managed to make 24.  I'll rearrange them when I get the other 24 made.  

I got to thinking that this is going to be a very colorful quilt.  I will probably put a nice neutral between the rows when I go to put them together.  Or should I make some table runners with the rows?  We will have to wait and see.

This morning I'm meeting two other Friends of the Library to set up a collection of freebies at the agency that serves the needy in the area.  This is a trial to put small collections in waiting rooms around town using excess book sale books.   Afterwards, I'm having coffee with the new volunteer who will take care of the collection to keep it fresh.   It will most likely be iced coffee!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

might be a silly question but I have a question on your use of your heat pump - does your heat pump not also work as your air conditioner? Our heat pump provides heat in the winter and A/C in the summer -- just wondering when you said you had A/C in the sewing room - I take it that is a window unit