Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Green tea and sweet beans

 

These are all the blocks I've made so far for this Jen Kingwell designed quilt.  (What a name!  I keep forgetting it.)  I have a ways to go but am enjoying it quite a bit.   I am using the same background, a cream with a small brownish print, and scraps of cotton and wool.  

As is typical with Kingwell, we make a lot of blocks, then some filler pieces, and then put the quilt together in sections that mix up all the blocks.  There are appliqued borders, too, and we'll have to wait and see if I have the energy to make those.  The wool makes the applique a bit easier, and I love how it feels.

Yesterday's snowstorm wasn't as bad as it might have been.  This was the third Monday in a row we've had wet, sloppy snow.  We had about 4", but because the temperatures hovered around freezing, the roads didn't look too bad.  Luckily, we didn't lose power so I was able to make a nice lunch - bacon, eggs, and raisin toast.  

We did lose the cable which provides internet, TV, and phone.   Paul had a Zoom meeting that he couldn't dial into, but he could use my cell phone to participate.  My preventing diabetes Zoom class was cancelled, but it all came back on in time to watch the TV news.

Because of the possibility of losing power, I didn't do much that required it like laundry, sewing, or baking.  But that meant I had a chance to finish the latest Marie Bostwick book, Esme Cahill Fails Spectacularly, which I really enjoyed despite the unfortunate title.  It is set in Asheville, NC, and has some quilting in it.  I will have to go look at Bostwick's website, though, because there is a recipe for Caramel Cake, which the characters talk about all the time.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have only read a couple of her books and must admit I couldn't get into them for some reason. You know how that goes some authors just don't do it for me. Have fun with your blocks - no snow here will be close to 60 all week - we will get hit with winter I'm sure January & February like usual I bet