Sunday, December 31, 2023

UFO Review

I keep a running list of UFOs because I tend to work on more than one project at a time.  My friend Polly works on one quilt at a time and is happy with that.  She's a Chemist and her quilts are perfect - all points visible and matching, all quilting lines straight as an arrow.  I like variety, so I work on deadlines or on whims.   There are currently 17 items of all sizes on my UFO list.  One is a knitting project, two need only binding to finish, and the rest are quilting projects, one of which is missing (Hawaiian applique) and one is so long-standing that I forget when I started it (1980?).

That's not to say that I don't finish a lot each year, though.  This year I completed quite a few projects, including knitting a pair of socks and several hats for the Bags of Love project for kids in foster care.  In addition, I made two quilts using the Jane Austen at Home fabrics, one of which I gave to my mom and the other to the homeless shelter.  I also made 12 mug rugs which I gave to each library staff member for Christmas.

I finished the long-standing Pineapple throw (took 2 years, working on a few every month), the Arboretum (given to Preservation Burlington), and

  - Two baby quilts - for Daley Hoffman and for Pat's greatgrandchild

  - a turquoise house mini

  - Moon over Mt. Fuji (hand quilted and given to Pat)

  - On the Patio (small quilt that won an honorable mention at my LQS)

  - the Blue and White Hankie Quilt

  - Cakes on Stands swap quilt (sent to folks on Maui)

  - Rainbow Log Cabin throw

Then there were the Rows Parade and Guild BOM tops which have been quilted by Marie and are now waiting for bindings.  For my guild has a UFO challenge this year, I brought in my Manx quilt blocks to show for that.  I think I need only one more block to make the planned table runner.

The project that I was most happy with in 2023 was the hanging of my Green Mountain Sunrise in the Woodridge Nursing Home dining hall which I technically finished in 2022.  It's hanging over the door to their lovely patio which was renovated and rededicated this summer.  It's based on Bonnie Hunter's Purple Mountains Majesty pattern.

No comments: