Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Big purple quilt finished

I always love putting that last stitch in the binding, which is what happened this afternoon with "The Big Purple Quilt." Many of the fabrics came from my stash and from my Dear Jane Secret Pal. Some also came from a half-bolt I bought from Mary. I really like the combination of beige and purple in this. Quite a few blocks came from Quiltmaker's 100 blocks for 2010, and I especially enjoyed making the appliqued ones. I think samplers - Dear Jane, Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, and more - are my cup of tea. After the quilt show is over, I will get back to SBS, although I have been tempted by a number of magazines' patterns lately.

In the photo, above the bed is a round robin I did with an online group many years ago. I wasn't wild about the yellow when I got my Mariner's Compass back, but I have come to like it. Our first houseguest in our new house woke up at 2 am when it fell down on top of him. Since we've put it back up - on the same nails (living dangerously) - it has behaved.

To the left of the bed are two counted cross-stitch pictures that my sister Jacqueline made. I like having all those nice things around me when I sew. My sewing room is also the guest room, and the first guests to sleep under the Big Purple Quilt will be some from England who are coming for Primo Maggio. It will be cozy.

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Your house guest will feel very welcome with your wonderful quilt - I'm so glad that the purple fabrics I sent you all of last year were made into something so pretty!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Wilma said...

Love your purple quilt Marianne. It is beautiful, but all of your quilts are.
Wilma

Lulu, the Dewey Dame said...

Gorgeous.

I finished my first quilt about a month ago and am waiting for it to come back from the big quilting machine in West Fairlee.

It's full of mistakes, but I learned so much.I'm hooked.