Friday, April 2, 2010

Candidates debate at the OLH

Last nice the five Democratic candidates for Governor debated at the Old Labor Hall. We watched on TV as Paul was wisely nursing his cold. He would have joined the crew to set up Wed. and last night, but I'm glad he took it easy. The last thing we need is more pneumonia in this house. Here's a recap, from left to right on the podium.

I was impressed with Susan Bartlett whose hair seemed to have gotten a touch of wind before going on camera. I'm sure she'll be mortified when she watches it back. But she made lots of sense and I was pleased to hear she believes state employees have been cut too much. She seems the least likely to win, but I always found her very supportive of libraries when I attended the Lamoille Co. Librarians' legislative breakfasts. A very no-nonsense sort of person that might make a good member of the next Administration.

Matt Dunne, the youngest candidate and the youngest person ever elected to the state legislature, was very impressive. I think he could really capture the younger voters. He believes that the cost of health care is what is killing state and local budgets, including school budgets. He advocates a state-insured system for all, which is do-able in our small state and to which we seem to have been working since the creation of Catamount Health. He offered some very interesting ideas about what to do when Vermont Yankee closes. Of course, he brought up the need for broadband everywhere in the state which has long been his "issue."

My long-time acquaintance Deb Markowitz, current Secy. of State, seemed not as well versed in the state's fiscal issues even though she has headed her agency for 8 years. Her answers were generic. She got laughs when she talked about her kids and why they don't want to settle in Central Vermont - no jobs, no dates, nothing happening. But that wasn't all that meaty and to the point. I wonder why she isn't showing her smart legal mind more.

Doug Racine, my favorite from several years ago, is still my favorite. He talked about showing respect for teachers and state workers and has a great way of criticizing the Douglas administration and Lt. Gov. Dubie (the Republican candidate) in a direct but kind manner. I like his initiatives on statewide health care. I suspect he will not win the primary because he seems so nice, yet I think he could do a lot to mend the poor morale of state employees.

My old nemesis from closing SERL, Peter Shumlin showed himself to be tough and outspoken. He is in the hot seat when it comes to Vermont Yankee, but he isn't backing down in his efforts to close it. Yet he recognizes that the employees will need help finding new jobs, perhaps out of state. I think he would be a very strong Governor, but not so easy to work with all the time. I remember that, during the SERL hearings, he took me aside to say that I was doing a great job. It puzzled me at the time but I think he believed I was listening to all sides. Last night he impressed me by saying that, while he considers Dubie a friend, he is "not up to the job" of Governor at all.

It will be an interesting summer, and I am looking forward to a debate between Dubie and any of these five people. Any one will be sure to run right over him.

1 comment:

Lulu, the Dewey Dame said...

Enjoyed reading your reactions to the candidates. I haven't made it to a debate yet, but your comments seem very fair.