Friday, August 20, 2010

Cooking today

There was a touch of fall in the air this morning, and it seemed a perfect day for a little marathon cooking. I stopped at my garden plot this morning for a zucchini, a summer squash, a patty pan squash, and some Swiss chard, along with a couple of pretty little sunflowers. The latter look lovely in a Delft vase given to us by Kathleen, a long-ago guest, wife of Larry the magician, formerly known (before 9/11) as Dr. Anthrax.

When I got home, I grated the summer squashes, set some aside in a freezer container, and used the rest for zucchini bread. I'm still using my mother's recipe:

Beat 3 eggs, and add 1 c. sugar, 1/2 c. milk and 1/2 c. oil.
Stir in 1 T. vanilla.
Add: 1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1 T. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. allspice
Mix well. Then add 3 c. flour and 3 c. grated zucchini, adding about a cup of each alternately.
Add 1/2 c. of ground nuts, wheat germ, and/or raisins.
Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

I have 4 of these babies in the freezer and they make me smile every time I look at them. They will be great for pot lucks or on a snowy day when we want a treat.

As the zucchini bread was baking, I mixed up 60 minute rolls using the recipe given to me by John, the checker at Hannaford's. His family had a bakery when he was growing up and he says these are never fail. We'll have them with Mulligatawny soup tonight, which has a fresh zucchini in it, of course!

No comments: