Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Block of the week

There are a large number of blocks-of-the-week/month available online and through quilt shops. Barbara Brackman has a nice Civil War one going on, and many of the people on various Yahoo! groups that I frequent are participating. Since my Heart of Vermont guild "square robin" uses Civil War reproductions, I decided not to participate in that BOW.

But I am trying to keep up with the "Virtual Bee" on the Yahoo! Friendship Block Swap group. For this block of the week, I chose pink and brown for my colorway. The new block patterns are posted on Mondays, and I did mine right away. It is fun to see how the colors mix. I offered to trade some larger pieces of fabric for pinks and browns with members of my Calico County quilt group, but we didn't meet last week due to snow. Still, I have plenty to see me through until we do get together in February (or later depending on the weather).

Yesterday, I finished appliqueing a Celtic knot for the 16" block sampler I'm making. I started on another block with odd little flowers and I also made a few Grandmother's Fan blocks for the black, white, and a hint of red swap I'm participating in. Those blocks aren't due to late June, so I have plenty of time. I got my green and white Irish chain blocks ready to mail the swap mom, too. We're supposed to get a bit of that wintry weather that's moving up the coast, so I have to run to the store early today. Snow days are great for quilting, so I really don't mind them at all!

No comments: