Saturday, January 15, 2011

A busy week and birthdays

Whenever we have a good old fashioned snow storm, it feels busy, even if we spend a lot of time inside. Living here in the condo we don't have to plow or shovel, which is great. But Wed. we did drive downtown during the storm to help set up and cook lunch for the Rotary Club at the Old Labor Hall. They have been very supportive over the years, and we want them to continue. So Paul drove us down the hill, and he and Chris set up chairs and tables while I helped Karen in the kitchen. We thought only a few Rotarians would brave the elements, but we had about 20 there.

All told, I think we received about 10" of snow. I shoveled off a bit of snow that landed on the porch so the dog wouldn't track it in after going out. Chris finally got his all-weather tires put on yesterday because more snow is predicted. He ended up staying here for a few nights last week, and he may be here again tonight since it's his birthday. It is hard to believe that he is already 29. I remember the day he was born like it was yesterday, and he was surprised when I told him that we had an earthquake the day after. The hospital walls were shaking, and at first I just thought it was regular hospital busy-ness. Later I learned that I was just a bit out of it. Anyway, if he doesn't spend this evening with friends in Burlington, I'll make his favorite - macaroni and cheese.

Tomorrow is Paul's birthday and some friends are coming for dinner. I'll make a simple dinner of baked chicken, wild rice, and salad. I have cake in the freezer left over from Chris' graduation party, so we'll either have it both nights, or I'll make an apple tart tomorrow.

We had a bit of a scare with Dad a few nights ago. He received one of those letters telling him that he was a winner of a large amount of money. They enclosed a bogus check and asked him to deposit it and then immediately wire them the amount to cover the taxes. He did deposit the check but didn't get to Western Union, thank goodness. I urged him to look into it further and said I was worried that it wasn't legitimate. Mom said the same, but he wasn't listening. So I called my brother Rob who was more forceful. The next day Mom went to the community center and learned that the police had just given a program on this very scam. She brought a handout home. Poor Dad relented and said he wouldn't do anything more. He is still a little hopeful that the check will clear, but I very much doubt that it will. Another crisis averted.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

scary about the check your father received. I hope it clears but won't be surprised if it doesn't. We had a scare with our credit card this week - I was going to stop and get gas for the car and my card was declined when I knew it shouldn't be, when I got home I immediately called the company and they said they had a security alert on the card because of some charges they thought were fraudulent -- they were! they took the charges off the card and issuing new cards to us!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/