Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A new year, some new projects


I started working on some new quilt projects during the last week or so.

One is based on some in the Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Vol. 2. This magazine has 12" blocks designed by various famous quilt designers so there's something for everyone. I particularly like the appliqued blocks, and made a very nice scrappy purple quilt last year with many of the blocks from Vol. 1.
I decided to applique all the blocks onto pieced 16" blocks and to quilt them as I go. So far, I've made three blocks.



When I quilt the blocks, I will add some details. The magazine called for some embroidery in between the hearts in the block above, but I will add some texture with quilting. The basket will have quilted flowers in it.
Right now I'm working on a block with a house covered in snow on a yellow background. I have another block ready for a Celtic knot. I envision nine blocks in all with a print border and sashing. I will have to take a trip to a quilt shop with Polly who has a good eye for such things.


My other project is a virtual block of the week with the Friendship Swappers. I decided on a pink and brown pallette for those blocks which are 6".



2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like those pinks and browns together in that last block.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Pat from Florida said...

Your blocks look great. I have Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 of that. Good for you for getting going on it!