Friday, February 3, 2012

In the mail at last


A few weeks ago I posted a photo of Henk's Civil War quilt being pinned for quilting. It is finally done and on its way to Holland. My cousin has had some health problems over the last year and recently moved to a new home. So many of the quilts I've made recently have used "girlie" colors, so I hope he enjoys wrapping up in this. Many of the blocks were "blocks of the week" published by Barbara Brackman online, including that "H" which was the symbol for hospital during that time.



I did quite a bit of in-the-ditch stitching, but there are a few spots where free-motion worked. The wide band before the final pieced border includes the words Best wishes, Henk and various wishes such as Health, Happiness, Joy, Surprises, Love. I enjoy quilting samplers because each block suggests a new pattern.



I pieced the back with "experimental" blocks as well as left over fabrics, including one piece with the pledge of allegiance printed on it. Even though the pledge wasn't adopted by Congress until 1942 (and they added the "under God" part in the mid-1950s), it still fit with the patriotic theme of the quilt. As you can see, I didn't have quite enough to go around, but it is the back, after all. I have begun putting my Civil War repro fabrics away, but I can't say I won't be making another before this sesquicentennial is over. I don't generally like muted colors but these seem to draw me in anyway.


By the way, when we went out to take this photo on the back porch, Paul had to stand in the snow. It was about 18 degrees out, with brilliant sunshine. Although everyone is saying it's a strange winter due to the lack of snow, we don't mind it one bit.






3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice looking quilt!
Karen

Pat from Florida said...

Turned out great. You are so good at finishing things!

Snippets of Carol said...

It turned out nice I love the colors and hope it helps him feel better.