Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lots of activity here

We have had sun and deep blue skies for three days running. Monday, it was nearly 50 degrees out and a lot of people were chopping ice in driveways and on walks. Our driveway has been clear for a while although there's a big lake at the end that freezes over every night. Last night it was around zero and today it's supposed to get up to about 20.

I have been putting together a "While Away Winter" raffle basket for the library with an autographed copy of Sandra Dallas' The Bride's House, a gift certificate for a massage, puzzles, notecards, and a bag of truffles. This is something I've been doing for a few years. It's fun but I always worry that the library staff will be burdened by another set of tickets to sell. They are always so enthusiastic, though, that I keep it up.

The other day I made a cute spring mug rug for a swap. On March 1, I'll get a name from the group and will mail it off. Since we'll be away before then, I thought I'd get it done and ready to mail, especially since I had a flash of inspiration. Can't show a photo in case my secret pal is reading this! Will show it later, though.

I packed up the small basket quilt, made last fall with swap blocks, to mail to my cousin in Curacao. I kept wondering what I could send her since they don't really need to keep warm down there. With a hanging sleeve, it can serve as a wallhanging or throw now. Hope she likes it. Cousins from Holland are visiting her now - wish I could be there as they are a fun bunch. We do keep up on Facebook, though.


Most of the week, I've been making a new quilt out of a batch of batik "fat eighths" in "beach" colors my Mom gave me for Christmas. I chose a fairly simple design of quarter log cabin blogs set straight, with a scrappy border. I plan to put the last border on today and then will take a photo. It is looking pretty and is shouting for a pieced back and large meandering quilting.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Your basket quilt from the Friendship Swap group came out lovely. I really like how you set it. Still have not figured how to set mine yet. Soon!!

Pat from FL and MI said...

Love your basket quilt. Great setting. Have you posted a pic to the group? Mine is in the cue to get quilted.