Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Oma's muumuu

I've been working on a quick but pretty quilt for the last few days.  My to-do list included a windowpane quilt of Indonesian batiks for Chris, and last summer I bought a nice brown/burgundy batik for the sashing.  Sunday, I cut 5" squares and 2.5" sashing and went to work.  It now measures about 70 x 70" which is plenty for me to quilt in one piece.


There are some batiks I bought and some I salvaged from clothes my mother sent me.  The last border used to be my mother's muumuu, hence the name.  As I was working, I noticed some of the fabrics smell a bit odd and I had to soak one to get a label off.  The water ran a bit, so I'm going to stitch all the way around before treating the top with Retayne.  Then I'll quilt it with a dark back, just in case it continues to run.  Fingers crossed!

In June, my sister in the Netherlands is going on a "pilgrimage" tour of Indonesia operated by an organization that cares for the graves of war victims around the world.  There are several sites in Indonesia.  I can't wait to hear all about it.  The quilt will be a nice reminder for Chris of our heritage.

No comments: