I've been working on a quick but pretty quilt for the last few days. My to-do list included a windowpane quilt of Indonesian batiks for Chris, and last summer I bought a nice brown/burgundy batik for the sashing. Sunday, I cut 5" squares and 2.5" sashing and went to work. It now measures about 70 x 70" which is plenty for me to quilt in one piece.
There are some batiks I bought and some I salvaged from clothes my mother sent me. The last border used to be my mother's muumuu, hence the name. As I was working, I noticed some of the fabrics smell a bit odd and I had to soak one to get a label off. The water ran a bit, so I'm going to stitch all the way around before treating the top with Retayne. Then I'll quilt it with a dark back, just in case it continues to run. Fingers crossed!
In June, my sister in the Netherlands is going on a "pilgrimage" tour of Indonesia operated by an organization that cares for the graves of war victims around the world. There are several sites in Indonesia. I can't wait to hear all about it. The quilt will be a nice reminder for Chris of our heritage.