Saturday, January 3, 2015

Photo day

I hadn't taken any quilt pictures in a long time, but today I made up for it.  I had to take the Christmas tree down first, then vaccuum, and then set up the rack.  I am always amazed at how many needles fall off a fake tree.  And how do they get upstairs??  Anyway, a little cleaning, a hint of sun, and I got all the quilts that needed photographing out.  Here are two, each made with some of Barbara Brackman's Austen Family Album blocks, which appeared on a blog weekly this past year.  

I just finished the pink and green one (taken with my phone, so a bit dark), which I started as the online book group read The Jane Austen Quilt Club by Anne Hazelwood.  It was a very poorly written book, and reading Brackman's weekly columns about various people in Austen's life kept me sane.  The center Dresden Plate variation came from Hazelwood's book.  I enjoyed quilting this one although I wish I hadn't done it in sections.  That's just a lot of work for a smallish quilt (48 x 48").  Paul said the center was "quilted to a farethewell" but that's because I stippled it and did mostly outline quilting in the rest.

The next quilt (62 x 62") was made this summer and taken to the long arm quilter.  She called a few weeks ago to let me know it was finished, and I like it very much.  The blocks are set in a Circle of Nines setting.  I took a class at the longarmer's shop last year about this particular setting, based on a book of the same name (I forget the author's name).  I'm calling this quilt Lady Sybil's Circle, because I used fabric from the "Lady Sybil Collection" of the Downtown Abbey line.  It's a little bigger, but I love the soft colors.

I'll post a few more photos tomorrow.  Blogger - or maybe it's my old computer - doesn't work so well with too many at once.  I did list the pink and green quilt and a blue baby quilt on my etsy shop today, too.

No comments: