Saturday, August 11, 2018

Blueberry pie

I haven't been all that productive lately, but today I did make a blueberry pie.  Half of the berries
came from our own bushes, and the other from a local farm.  The latter were nice and big; ours are small and sweet.  I think the lack of rain is the cause for the size and maybe even the sweetness.  I have a few bags of berries and one large one of peaches in the freezer.  They are so good in the depths of winter!

Our humid spell seems to have broken, and this morning it was in the 40s.  We are sure to have more hot days, but cooler mornings are a harbinger of fall, everybody's favorite season around here.

I finished sewing the binding down on the Antelope Canyon quilt and aired it out on the porch yesterday.  The backing fabric had a strong odor, but now it smells like clean laundry.  I need to take a photo;  I'm waiting for Chris to visit so Paul and he can hold it out straight.  My order of backing fabric arrived, and when my order of batting comes, I'll be able to take the Ohio Star block swap quilt to Marie for long arming.  Oh, joy - another binding in the near future!

This week I made a few more Splendid Sampler blocks for my Low Volume quilt.  One is paper pieced, and, while I hate taking those little bits of paper out, I love the way it looks so much that I have another paper pieced block ready to go.  If I like it, I'll make one for my partner in the Teal Mini Swap.  This will be my second year participating in this fund raiser for ovarian cancer research.  I met a very nice quilter from Washington state last year and am curious who this year's partner will be.  We have six weeks or so to make and send either a mug rug or a small quilted piece.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I would love a piece of blueberry pie! Mike doesn't like fruit pies other than apple so I never make any as it would be a bit of a waste for one person only - I guess I need to buy one sometime and put most of it in the freezer to warm up