Saturday, August 4, 2018

It's humid

We seem to be stuck under a cloud of humidity lately.  I haven't had the energy I normally do.  Yesterday I wondered if I ought to have my thyroid checked out.  I have a "getting to know you" appointment with my new doctor later this month (they keep retiring!) and maybe I should ask about this?  But then everyone I've talked to lately is complaining about feeling a bit sluggish.

Last night it rained quite a bit, and today it seems a little more bearable.  I actually did a few things around the house - laundry, making a dry rub for some country-style ribs, and making potato salad.

Then I sat down to work on my Low Volume at 70 Sampler.  I have made four August blocks so far, put together the 12 July blocks, and now it's time to quilt the July section.  I am using a 1" beige print sashing between the blocks and will separate the months with slightly wider strips of the same print.  The back of each section will be one of the many Indonesian fabrics I have accumulated.   A pieced back will be nice for this project which is to reflect my last 70 years, which started in Indonesia, after all.  I may mix in some tea-dyed muslin here and there.  I'm quilting this one in sections which should make it easier with my Elna.

I found a batik just the right size for the July section, so I started quilting that this morning.  I am running out of the cream Aurifil thread I use most of the time, so I got out a spool of Craftsy 50 wt. beige thread that came free with fabric I ordered.  That's on the top, and the Aurifil is in the bobbin.  I like the Craftsy thread so far.  It runs through the machine smoothly, is soft, and looks good.  I had been a bit skeptical because someone gave me a spool of Connecting Threads thread that seemed too thick and stiff.

My Antelope Canyon quilt came back from the long arm quilter over a week ago, and I have gotten one side of the binding down sewn to the back by hand.   Lately, I have sewn almost all of my bindings by machine.  I sew it to the back and then topstitch on the front, mitering as I go around.  This quilt's edges were a bit uneven - perhaps because the jelly rolls I used weren't exactly true - so I had to sew the binding to the front first.  There's a project I haven't touched since the humidity started.  Maybe tomorrow?

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I liked the Craftsy thread too but I have not tried it in my antique Red Eye yet - I have tried the old connecting thread thread that I had left over in my box for that machine and it liked it - now I can use that thread up I guess.
Humidity can really make a person tired I think - I hope that is all it is for you