Sunday, August 19, 2018

Teal mini swap


Last year, at the recommendation of a friend who used to organize the Parkinsons Quilt Project, I participated  in the Teal Mini Swap for the first time.  This is a fun program in support of ovarian cancer research.  A quilter in Massachusetts pairs each person with another quilter, sends us each a small piece of teal fabric to use in a mug rug or mini quilt, and sends some of our $15 contribution to a very worthy cause.

It's fun to get to know another quilter and also quite a challenge to incorporate a snippet of teal into a small project.  Here is last year's mini with some of the other little gifts I enclosed for Valorie in WA.  I managed to get the teal all the way around the star which was quite a feat.

Valorie used her snippet as one of the "geese" in a small hanging for me, which I now am using as a tabletopper in my guest room.  I love it!  What's funny is that I was going to make the same pattern but chose to do the star at the last minute.  Great minds think alike!

This year, I'm also making a star but a little differently, for my partner, Shelly in SC.  I spent yesterday finishing it but will wait to mail it until September because she's going on vacation.  I'll take a photo before mailing (if the sun ever comes out) and will show it after she receives it.

Aside from that, it's been rather humid lately so everyone is moving slowly.  I pieced one block yesterday for the Low Volume sampler and have another prepared for applique today.  I delivered my Ohio Star block swap quilt to Marie for long arming Thursday and hope that doesn't come back too soon although the binding is all ready to go.  This week, I hope to start on a scrappy appliqued border for the red, white, and blue medallion quilt that's been hanging in the closet for several months.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like both of those pieces both look so bright and modern with the black fabric