Monday, August 20, 2018

Summer picnics

This was our weekend of picnics, both at the Barre Town Rec Fields shelter.  It's lovely up there with a wide view of the mountains.  Friday night was the annual Greater Barre Democrats fundraiser, which is usually a calm but fun affair.  This year, we had several new members, and many of the "top of the ticket" candidates came, too.

That made about 50 people, including Gubernatorial candidate Hallquist, State Treasurer Pearce (who lives in Barre), and Lieutenant Governor Zuckerman.  Each spoke briefly (thank goodness), as did our local candidates for state House and Senate.   Chip grilled burgers and hotdogs, everyone else brought good food, Jeanne organized a small auction, and there was plenty of socializing and rallying.  Hope we can keep up the momentum into the fall.

Sunday at noon our neighborhood picnic was catered, much to everyone's delight - no cooking!  Jockey Hollow made delicious chicken and mostaccioli - Barre's favorite meal - along with salads and chocolate cake.  The weather couldn't have been more perfect - mid-70s, sunny, breezy.  It was a nice time to get together with folks we don't see all the time and meet some of our newer residents.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like a nice day - and that you know so many people must be a plus, we have nothing like that in my area and sadly even though I have lived here many years I actually know very few people very well. Of course I am a quite person so it is on my part mostly - I am not outgoing until I really get to know a person

Marianne said...

I sometimes have to force myself to be sociable, too, but Paul used to walk the dog around the neighborhood when he was alive. People used to come out to pet Max or give him treats, so he has gotten to know them fairly well. I just tag along! And with the Dems I am the treasurer so people come to me to get their bills paid. :-)