Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Rest in peace

My high school class included 618 people.  Many served in the Vietnam War and came back scarred, if at all.  Most are now retired.  We have had regular reunions since our 10th, and we now have a Facebook page.  I attended four different schools before moving to Rockville, MD, in 8th grade, but I like keeping in touch with these people.  One special person kept us connected to each other, helping to organize reunions, keeping a contact list up to date, and generally making us individually feel a part of the "family."

Marianne (who always called herself "The Other Marianne" when speaking to me) passed away this week, and she will be sorely missed by her classmates.  I know she struggled with health issues for many years and underwent dialysis several times a week for a long time.  When I heard about this, I sent her a quilt and was so pleased when she called to say she used it while watching soaps and napping in the afternoons.  I'm so glad I did that.   She quietly dropped off of Facebook during the summer and, when I realized that, I knew something was not right.  Not wanting to intrude with a phone call, I sent her a card to let her know I was thinking of her.  I hope she got lots of them.  I wish I had sent a Christmas card, too.

I've been thinking a lot about how "life" gets in the way of keeping in touch with special people in our lives.  How we find excuses not to call or write  - there's always another meeting to attend, another quilt to work on, another book to finish, another meal to make.  We all need to reach out more and be mindful of the ups and downs in the lives that touch ours.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is nice that you made close friendships from high school and sorry you lost your friend. I'm afraid I never stayed in touch with kids from school and one would think with as small of a class as I had - 105 - that I would have been close to them but I left school and never looked back - it was not a happy time for me - my experience was opposite of yours.