Sunday, February 24, 2019

Wool applique

I love wool applique because you don't have to turn the edges under, but it always begs for additional embroidery which I'm not confidant about doing.  Nonetheless, I did finally finish this wallhanging the other day.
Those French knots weren't so hard once I got started working on them, and there are also little cross-stitches and flowers scattered here and there.  I outline quilted the flowers and vase and then echo quilted the center.   I worried about quilting around the red buttons, but they weren't a problem at all.  It measures about 14" x 20".   I will probably make another wool appliqued piece soon, although I'm really focusing on finishing UFOs this year.  A clean(ish) slate would be nice.

The pattern for this quilt came from my new favorite magazine, Primitive Quilts.  It includes ideas for punch needle and patchwork projects as well.  I have stopped getting most quilting magazines except that and American Patchwork and Quilting.  They are all pretty repetitious and very focused on selling particular lines of fabric.

The vase applique will line my suitcase along with a few other wallhangings and zipper bags when we go to the Netherlands in April.  We will see my four cousins, a sister and a brother, and my mother's cousin along with their various families.   I can't make something for everyone, but will have a few things on hand for gifting.  I'll run out to a sugar shack and get some maple candy to share at a gathering that my cousins are planning in early May.  Wow!  Just two months to go!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that would be so fun to go the Netherlands in the spring a good family visit for sure. Love your wool piece - I have one in the UFO status - one day I must get back to it I haven't forgotten it but just haven't been in the mood for it.