Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Peach Melba jam

I love peaches, and I try to freeze some and use them in various other ways while in season.  This morning, I made raspberry-peach jam.  The little jars are to use as gifts while the pint ones are for Paul to put on his toast in the mornings.  I don't eat it as often, but I do love it on fresh, homemade bread.

I have a stash of small jars of strawberry-rhubarb jam also, and plan to make some potholders to go with the jams.  There are 13 or 14 people on the staff so one case of small jars isn't enough.  Every year the Friends of the Library and board of trustees hold a holiday party for the library staff, and I like to give each staff member a little something.  The rest of the jams will go to friends and neighbors, and it makes me feel good, getting a jump on the holidays.

I have been plugging away at a biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder (Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser) and am anxious to finish.  Growing up, the Little House books were my favorite, and I have a complete set that I treasure.  This biography won the Pulitzer Prize a few years ago and is very extensive.  It also covers the life of Laura's daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, who is supposed to have encouraged her mother's writing.  Or was she the ghostwriter?  I still don't know yet, but I am finding not much to like about Rose so far.  I'm anxious to finish because the new Louise Penny book is waiting in the queue.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I read some of the books but not all. I love jam but do not eat often and a jar last a long time as I go through spells of using it.