Saturday, September 12, 2020

In holiday mode



 Chill Layer Cake | Zen Chic for Moda Fabric

Having delivered fall items to sell at the local florist/gift shop, I turned my attention this week to holiday/winter gifts for Mom.  She says she's not seeing many people now with COVID, but she seems to see more than I do!  I like to give her a bunch of small things that she can give people who do nice things for her, like take her out to lunch, give her rides, etc.  She also has a caregiver a few days a week and a cleaning person.   And then there are the helpful neighbors.

I bought a Moda "Chill" layer cake and mini charm pack on sale recently.  I don't know why I've been making so many blue things lately, but the glitz in this particular line of fabric wasn't as bad as some winter fabrics I've seen.  My nickname for Mom is "Mrs. Glitz" -- she often gives me sparkly t-shirts and other things.  

I started with a reversible table runner.  One side is made of log cabin blocks in blues and grays, and the other side is made with stars.   I ordered a little extra yardage for  borders and the binding via an etsy shop.  It's waiting to be quilted now.  So far, I like the result so much that I'm going to keep this table runner.  Sorry, Mom.  

Next, I finished 8 mugs rugs using tumblers and made 8 reusable gift bags.  The bags will be handy for cookies and other goodies.  Then, I made some of those criss-cross coasters my friend Suzy showed at a guild meeting ages ago.  I used some leftover layer cake fabric as well as some other holiday fabrics in my stash for those.  They are incredibly easy, and I'll make a few more for neighbors with whom we play croquet and socialize with afterwards.  I made a little tag for each set of four coasters explaining how to use them for wine glasses.  That's not wine in that glass - it's herbal iced tea!

Yesterday, I ran down to A Quilter's Garden, my local quilt shop, to buy a little more Christmas-themed fabric for a few more table runners, per Mom's request.  I'll probably make them out of log cabin blocks with my many holiday scraps.

That will be about "it" for holiday sewing, unless I get requests from family or friends, and I'm glad to have it out of the way.  Hmmm... wonder if I should make Mom a holiday-themed face mask?  Uh oh!

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have some holiday fabric for a couple face masks for Melanie to use at the library (and halloween) I don't think we all need to keep making more face mask though with so many boxes of the blue ones available at the stores now - masks are not a favorite thing to make!
I need to do some redwork and quilt on a small Christmas piece and that is it for the holidays for me.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I’m sure your mom’s friends will love the little gifts you have made.