Monday, September 21, 2020

Table runners

 I am packing up a medium flat rate box to send to Mom tomorrow.  There are six mug rugs, three sets of four coasters, six reusable gift bags, a pair of Halloween socks (for fun), a Christmas face mask, and two table runners.  Phew!   I have to say, the latter turned out pretty well.  Most red and green Christmas fabric looks great together.  Log cabin is my favorite quilt block, and I return to it again and again.  Making the blocks with 1.5" strips, I ended up with 8.5" blocks finished.  The star runner's blocks are 12", starting with a 6" saw-toothed star block.

Mom can keep anything she wants or give stuff away to friends, neighbors, caregivers, etc. over the next few months.  It may seem early, but I wanted to get these done so I have time to make a few gifts, too.  In fact, I just made another table runner to keep and three sets of coasters for friends (maybe with a bottle of wine and a few other goodies).  And what can I make Chris' friends Ted and Marad who will no doubt overwhelm us once again with gifts?   Pillow cases?  Grocery bags?  We'll see!

I took a trip to Joann Fabrics yesterday for a grape vine wreath (on sale, of course) and some other things to make a wreath with dried hydrangeas from our little bush out back.  I have never dried hydrangeas before, but found via Google that it can be done fairly easily just by setting them out in vases with a little water.   Wait a week or so, and voila.  I usually hang a quilt on the front door but thought I'd try something a little different this fall.  And I can always change the ribbon to a Christmassy one if I don't put it together soon.

On my trip to Joann's I ran into Betty who showed me some nifty toggles for adjusting face masks.  She offered me a couple for the mask I made Mom, so I'll return to the shop today to pick them up.  Mom has been my mask guinea pig during the last few months.  If she likes the toggles, I'll order some online as it doesn't appear we're going to stop wearing masks for a long while.

Today, after grocery shopping, I'm hoping to finish sewing the neck down on my brown sweater and weaving in many loose yarn tails.  Then I'll be ready to tackle the dreaded knitted front ribbing.  This is definitely a complicated pattern.  I think I'll go back to scarves and hats for a while before taking on another year-long knitting project.



1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I got a couple packages of the toggles and flexible metal strips for the nose area for the face masks and I much prefer using the two combined in a mask now.