Thursday, September 3, 2020

Whipping up little things

In an effort to keep members of our local quilt guild engaged during a time when we aren't meeting, I volunteered to coordinate the annual block swap and also the block of the month programs.  The person who usually does this is moving to New Hampshire by the end of the year.  I will miss her!

The block we'll be swapping this year is Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Trips Around the World.  We usually have 6-8 people participating, but this year 21 people have signed up so far.  Guess everyone is looking for a good project.  We'll each make one block for each other person and hope to swap them in person next May.  The blocks are easy to make - here are my first four blocks.


The guild Block of the Month is going to be a little different this year.  Before, we got instructions for a 12" block and just made our own blocks to use as we wished.  Some people made whole quilts out of a block they particularly liked, and some (like me) made samplers.  This time, I am giving instructions for 6" blocks all year with an optional lottery.  If people want, they can submit one block for the lottery, and the winner will be mailed all the blocks.  This month's block is an easy nine patch with cream and any color.  I made up five blocks in an afternoon with leftover 2.5" squares I had already cut.

One will go to the lottery and the rest will join a batch of nine patches I have stashed away for who knows what.  I'm already planning October's block - a maple leaf for fall - and hope to make them more challenging as the year goes on.

Yesterday was spent sewing Christmas mug rugs.  I have a bunch of tumblers in holiday fabrics that I cut a few months ago when I made some Christmas stockings and a table runner.  Now I thought I'd make some mug rugs for Mom and me to give as little gifts.  They're quite scrappy but I have some nice yardage for the backs.  I made eight so far and will quilt them later today and tomorrow.  

No comments: