Saturday, August 29, 2020

The brown sweater


I can't remember when I started knitting this wool sweater - maybe February?  I had just finished a long, lacy scarf, and thought I'd tackle a bigger project:  a cardigan sweater.  When Chris was small, I knit us each sweaters to wear in the fall before we wore jackets.  I gave his cute little red sweater to friends and found the one I knit myself too hot.  The pattern for this year's sweater promised no sewing, and is knit in the round from the bottom up.  The soft wool and round needle came quickly from Hobbii in Denmark; I like its pinkish tint.

Everything was fine until I split for the armholes.  Many years ago my mother taught me to knit European style with one needle under my arm.  Round needles are hard for me to control, but I managed.  Still, when I got to the armholes, I did the front and back on straight needles.  The Kitchener stitch had me flummoxed so I sewed the shoulders and am now almost finished knitting the sleeves individually on straight needles.  They will have to be sewn in, but I can knit much faster with straight needles.

Before I sew the sleeves in, I'll knit the pockets on round needles.  And then comes the scary part:  zigzag stitching the center front, cutting it, and knitting the ribbing on both sides of the front and around the neck.  The end is in sight, though, and this has been a pretty relaxing project during The Pandemic.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is interesting you zigzag up the front and then apply ribbing and cut up the front? I would be afraid it would fall apart after all that work. I think I saw someone else post doing something this way too - let me know how it works. I have not knit in the round and have planned to but I'm sure it will be a learning process! I think the colors of our sweaters are very close to the same.

Marianne said...

Yes, that cutting up the center thing is quite intimidating! Fingers crossed!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You said cardigan and I saw a pullover. Then you described the dreaded steeking!! Not a method that I have been brave enough to attempt. Yikes!! Happy finishing.

Jenny said...

I'm an old fashioned knitter and only know how to knit with two needles! Circular needles are certainly an unknown to me.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Good luck with your steeking, and don't worry, it does work. I did it once, and it was nerve-wracking, but turned out fine. I love knitting in the round and making no-sew sweaters. You're inspiring me to be thinking of knitting again, with fall coming on.