Saturday, August 1, 2020

A super day

My birthday always sneaks up on me, although I do look forward to it every year.  Yesterday, I slept late (til 6 am!), dilly dallied around, opened a bunch of cards and packages.  I love the fat quarters I received from my online quilting group - purple batiks!
These should go well with the swap blocks I'll be receiving by the end of September.  Everyone participating in the swap is making 6" blocks of their choice in the color(s) of the receiver's choice.  So I asked for purples on the cream background everyone will be using.  I thought I might use plain squares in between the pieced blocks in order to make the resulting quilt a little bigger.  We'll see.

I received some wonderful gifts also.  Mom and Jenny sent things they picked up at the Rocky Mountain Quit Museum gift shop, including two charm packs that I'll have fun using.  Mom sent an intriguing scarf that I had to ask her how to tie.  It turns out that it's a flowy vest to dress up a plain outfit... for whenever I need something dressy... after COVID?

Paul, who always knows what I like, gave me a gift certificate to A Quilters Garden, knowing I would use it immediately.  After our usual morning walk, I hit the road for my annual birthday spree.  Paula carefully tackled my stack of purchases - maybe 25 yards' worth of backgrounds, sashings, and fun fabrics, along with a quilt batt - and applied the birthday discount to those not already on sale at 1/3 off.  It pays to get older there where my discount this year was 36% (half my age)!

Once home, I sorted out the reds that I like to prewash and put away most of the rest before working on a few quilt blocks for the "Sisters Quilt Along."  It's a block of the month program that features a 12" and a similar 6" block each month.  I have only been working on my blocks for a couple of weeks, so I'm playing catch up, which is fine with me.  I really like quilts with different sized blocks, and these are a bit challenging.  Great for getting my mind off the rather upsetting time we are living in.

Paul got Chinese take out for dinner, Chris joined us, and it was a great end to a perfect birthday for this quilter.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Happy Birthday! love all those purples and how nice to get a birthday discount plus a gift card to your favorite shop - sounds like you did well