Thursday, August 27, 2020

More donuts

 I wish I could show you the dozen blueberry donuts I made this morning, but there are only four left and they are safely ensconced in a plastic bag for later.  I took two each to two sets of neighbors, Paul and I each ate one, and he took two to the librarians at the Vermont History Center.  He was doing some research there this morning.  I guess we'll need to take a few walks around when he gets back because of the influx of calories.  Having lost 30 lbs. since the beginning of the year, I am very careful these days.  And I have more to lose - don't most of us?  

The King Arthur recipe is so easy, and it's fun to use the donuts pans I received for Christmas.  Our blueberry bushes were super productive this year, so I will be able to make quite a few more during the year.  And did you know that there is a special non-melting confectioner's sugar?  I discovered it while roaming around King Arthur's website.  I also bought some boiled cider because I love apple cider donuts.   There's a cider mill about 45 minutes from here, but it's a long way to go for one donut.  So cider donuts will be my next flavor.  Maybe in a week or so.

One of my dieting strategies has been to stay upstairs and sew, rather than to be downstairs and snack.   Yesterday, I finished a little lattice quilt top made of some charm squares my Mom sent me last year and some that I got in a swap.

I made a similar quilt out of blues and greens a few years ago.  It's an easy pattern that I found in a magazine advertising piece.  Just 5" squares cut diagonally with a 1.5" strip sewn in.  Square up to 5" (using the Dear Jane ruler in my case).  Now the top is hanging in the closet, waiting to be quilted.  I'll have to think a bit about how I'm going to quilt it.  

Today I'm going to start working on another border for the Virtual Round Robin.  I have been circling it while it's laying on the bed and think I have an idea.  This month's round is supposed to be appliqued, but I may be going rogue this time.  We'll see!

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have some of that boiled cider from King Arthur too - I hope it last a long time because somehow it got shoved to the back of one shelf and unnoticed for ages - I'm not sure when it was opened and I forgot about it.

Susie H said...

What a beautiful red & white quilt. I think that's a great pattern!