Monday, August 17, 2020

Donuts and quilts

Yesterday morning I made four scrappy trips blocks just to see how they look together, and I really like them.  As I told the group, one block isn't all that pretty, but four together, rearranged, looks great, and I think it will make a very nice quilt.

I used some left over jelly rolls and batting scraps for most of the blocks which go together quickly, especially when you're careful about pressing as Bonnie Hunter instructs.  I think I'm going to enjoy making the blocks for the swap and also a few more for myself.  The blocks measure 12" finished, so one could get a nice-sized scrappy quilt with not too many blocks.  So far 9 people have signed up for the swap.  If all make 2 blocks per person, we'll each have 18 different blocks plus any we make for ourselves.  What I like is that the resulting quilt looks so much more complicated than it really is.   And it looks like something a grandmother would have made, very cozy.

Today I tried my hand at baked donuts.  It was the first batch in the pans I received from Paul for Christmas, and they are easy to make and delicious!   As you can see, there are only four left out of my six donut half-batch.  We had to test them right away and found they would be great with a cup of coffee.  I would love to make apple cider donuts like they have at a cider mill south of Stowe, so I just ordered some cider concentrate for that.  But my next batch will probably be blueberry since we have quite a few from our bushes right now.  I'll make a dozen and give some away to our neighbors.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have a doughnut pan but when I tried making the cake doughnuts they were kind of dry - I need a better recipe