Saturday, July 25, 2020

Heart of Vermont Sampler

We finally got outside to take some photos of the quilt I finished quilting and binding last week!  It was either too hot, too cloudy, too rainy before, but yesterday was perfect weather.  

The blocks in the Sampler were 9" (finished) and some were made by members of my local Heart of Vermont guild.  Here's a closup.

These projects are always tricky because some of the blocks are wonderful but others are a bit "off."   I deal with those in various ways, including taking them apart and making new blocks; adding some coping strips to get them up to size; and putting them in my "orphan" box to use another time.   In this instance, I actually made one very similar to another block a friend had made, because it seemed to need an echo.  I also put a few on the back and surrounded them with scrap fabrics for a pieced back.   As you may be able to see from the back, I quilted all the blocks differently, using my walking foot.  I love the inner border fabric which I also used for the cornerstones.
This quilt will eventually go to an old library friend of Paul's who has retired to Kentucky.  We have talked about driving out to visit him (I'd like to go to Paducah, too), but we're not sure when we'll be able to.  So I will probably mail it to him.

Yesterday, I also made a blueberry-peach pie, with peaches I had frozen last summer and some blueberries from our bushes.  I even made the pie crust from scratch, using a recipe from King Arthur Flour.  It's the first time I've encountered buttermilk powder in a crust recipe, but it was delicious.  We had salad for dinner and will be having lite meals until the pie is gone!  In the early evening, we played croquet with the neighbors and gathered for wine and conversation in the back yard, at social distances (of course).  These are definitely the lazy days of summer.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pie doesn't last long in my house - the quilt looks great!! I love it so bright. You will love Paducah if you ever get there - small town feel to the downtown area but yet is a bit spread out now when you get out to the highway - you should try to get to one of the shows sometime and see the quilt museum too. We have been there numerous times - about 6 hours away.I had wanted to go to the spring show and of course that was cancelled - after knowing the virus was spreading I though maybe the new fall show they have now too - but I'm sure that will be cancelled too - maybe I can get back out there next year?