Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Village Quilt

Hope you all had a very happy 4th of July.  Today, July 5th, marks the 68th anniversary of my arrival in the United States.  My parents came over from the Netherlands first, in April, 1952, and Mom sent her "war bride" passport back for me to use on my trip over.  I was just three and staying with relatives and friends.  In the interim, the quota for immigrants from the Netherlands was closed, and Dad spent a lot of time writing to various officials to get an exception for my entry into the U.S.   Finally, his Congressman from his hometown interceded on his behalf, and I flew alone via KLM to New York City.  This date has always been a significant one for me as I was reunited with my parents.  

Perhaps that's why I was inspired to bid on a few KLM collectible houses on e-bay today.  Every year since 1952, KLM and gin maker Bols give these cute little houses to first class passengers (I flew tourist class that year, of course).  Over the last few years, I have bought used (empty) ones, have about 12 so far, and occasionally get a few more. We'll see how the online auctions go today.

Yesterday we took a few pictures of the Village Quilt, made with swap blocks.  I like the close parallel quilting and the various colors and fabrics.  It's truly a scrap quilt, except for the light blue border and binding which were in Dee's sale area.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it.  Take it to sell at the Forget Me Not Flowers and Gifts shop downtown?  Sell on my etsy shop?  Give to the library or another organization for a fund raiser?  

Today I'll continue working on the July round for the Virtual Round Robin.   I have quite a few melons to applique, and it's going to be hot for the rest of the week.  So I'll probably be sitting in front of the fan or in my sewing room most of the time, and checking on three auctions regularly.