Saturday, June 19, 2021

All caught up

 Over the last few days, I worked on my Harriet's Journey blocks of the month and made a couple of "secret pal" gifts from scraps.  It feels good to have these blocks of the month done with days to spare.

Each month I try to make eight blocks from Jennifer Chiaverini's new sampler book.  These are assigned by Dotty D., another quilter on the quiltingboard.com who has organized a sew along.  My friend Beth also belongs.  This month's 6" blocks were fairly straightforward, except one was a fiddly applique and another was too complex for me to even contemplate.  So I got out Pat Sloan's Splendid Sampler and chose two blocks that I hadn't made while working on that quilt a couple of years ago.  

I love the "Moody Bloom" fabric I'm using for this sampler, but sometimes the larger prints don't show up as well as they might with larger blocks.  That's why I substituted the blocks with the large floral center and tiny hourglasses.  For the hourglasses, I made larger ones and cut each one down to 2" square.  I also tried to use snippets of most of the fabrics I have in the block with the heart in its center (which I did hand applique).  This was a fun set of blocks to make.

For my secret pals, I made a mug rug to send soon in a mug rug swap and a zipper bag to hold the things I'm sending later this summer to another quilter in a birthday swap.   


Both projects were made with 2" and 2.5" squares and Vermont "license plate" panels.  Sorry I didn't get a photo of the mug rug which had 2" squares with a license plate on one side and 2.5" squares on the other.  Neither made a dent in my stash of scrap squares! 

 This leaves me wondering what to work on today.  Maybe an appliqued block to exchange at the state guild meeting in the fall?

No comments: